Tuesday 29 November 2011

Games and being judgmental, me!

I am addicted to not 1, but 2 stupid games.

That is what I first thought when I saw people playing those games. How stupid can a person be, staring at the tiny phone screen, throwing birds on structures and killing pigs? How boring is it to park airplanes and helicopters on an airfield? I am sure there better, more meaningful things to do than playing those games. The thought keep surfacing in my mind. Not saying it out and not telling people playing those games because it would be judgmental and against the training I received. Anyway, thinking about it even without saying aloud is already being judgmental. Yes, whether it has been said or not, having those thoughts had already affected my perception of people playing those 2 games. Now, are we talking about theory versus actual practice?

The person, who laughs at others will ultimately, be the last person to be laughed at. That happens to be me when my daughter requested for the 2 games, Angry Birds and Air Control to be downloaded so that she can play on my phone. Now, not sure if it is her games or mine since I ended playing it more than she does. Yes, I am addicted to the 2 stupid games. Whenever I am played those games on the train, subconsciously I would look around and I cannot stop wondering what others think when they saw this 40+ old man playing such childish games. Retribution... Haha.

To be fair to both games, only when I start playing, then did I notice the challenges and excitement they brought to me. For Angry Birds, in order to proceed to the next level, I need to know the strength and weaknesses of the different type of birds and the structures the pigs erected, before I can be successful in destroying the structures and killing the pigs. For Air Control, it is about mapping and planning the routes, taking into consideration of the characteristics of the airfield and airplanes to achieve safe landing for the airplanes. So while the games look simple, I need some thinking before succeeding and proceeding to the next level.

So what did I learnt from this? Well, next time if I heard anybody saying "I understand how you feel", I will say it is all bullshit! No amount of knowledge and logical thinking entitle us to say those words. Human beings can never be logical. Moreover, even if one had gone through the same experience, he is still not entitled to say those words. We have different upbringing, different character and different support mechanism so nobody can have the same feeling and ever earned the right to say "I understand how you feel".

I had learnt that no amount of effort will be helpful unless I am determined to stop that addiction. I also learnt that once I determined and found a solution to stop addiction, the period I get addicted to those games gets shorter. I no longer play Air Control as frequent and unlike Angry Birds, I had yet completed all the levels.

Oh, I just brought 小tz to watch the Angry Birds show at Ngee Ann City last Saturday. Ops! Hey, 小tz wants to watch, not me. Hee...

No comments:

Post a Comment